Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Witnessing to Mormons

Kyra and I were driving down the street and saw two Mormon missionaries with a sign advertising free a free DVD about Jesus Christ. Kyra asked who they were and I said they were Mormons. "What's a Mormon, dad?" was her question.

So, I said, "Let's go talk to them."

Kyra and I walked over and they offered us the DVD and we began asking them questions about who Jesus Christ was. They told us he was the Son of God. With some more specific questions we learned that they believed Jesus Christ was created.

We also learned that they believe that Elohim and Jehovah are not the same. They said Jehovah was Jesus in the Old Testament but Elohim created him!

I pointed out that Genesis 1:1 says:
In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. (Genesis 1:1)

and Genesis 2:4 says:
These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens, (Genesis 2:4)

The Hebrew rendering behind the words "LORD God" is Jehovah Elohim. It was easy to disprove their beliefs by simply reading the Bible. They were not convinced but I pray that God's Spirit uses that to place a splinter of doubt in their hearts about what they believe.

I pray that God saves those two boys. They are lost and the 'Jesus' they say they believe in is not the true Jesus. The best thing about our discussion was that Kyra very quickly realized that they were not teaching the truth.

As we walked away, Kyra said, "Dad, they said Jesus was created! That's not right."

Praise the LORD for a discerning heart in my girl.

Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints. (Jude 1:3)