Sunday, September 12, 2010

Burning Korans and Mars Hill

Acts 17:22-23 Then Paul stood in the midst of Mars' hill, and said, Ye men of Athens, I perceive that in all things ye are too superstitious. For as I passed by, and beheld your devotions, I found an altar with this inscription, TO THE UNKNOWN GOD. Whom therefore ye ignorantly worship, him declare I unto you.

I am sure that Paul's heart broke as he walked through Athens. The Greeks worshipped a multitude of gods and made altars and built temples to them all. Just in case they had missed one, the even had one to the unknown god. Please notice what Paul did not do. He did not take a hammer and start smashing these idolatrous places of worship.

As followers of Jesus we should be doing what Jesus told us to do.

Mark 16:15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.


Instead of burning a Koran, we should be sharing the gospel with every creature including those who are followers of Islam. The Bible tells us:

Romans 12:21 Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.

Burning a Koran does nothing but make Muslims feel anger toward who they perceive as infidels. Think of how you feel when you see someone burn an American flag. You are angry and grieved. This is a Muslim's holy book. No, I don't believe a word of the Koran, but if I wanted to win someone I would not start by dishonoring something they hold dear. Imagine an evangelist beginning his sermon by insulting your mother!

I am afraid that many Americans have forsaken the message of Jesus and don't want to see people come to know Jesus.

Paul stood in the midst of people who did not believe as he did and told them of the resurrection of Jesus Christ. Let us go and do likewise.